Residential Life staff
Behind the scenes, the College’s Residential Life staff works to promote learning, safety and fun in the residence houses. They’re the professionals and are ready to help out if you need a hand. The office is located in Warnshuis, behind Shain Library.
Assistant Directors are professional staff members from the Residential Life office who work closely with each house and are assigned to different geographic areas of campus: north and south. You can always get in touch with your assistant director or the Residential Life staff by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fellow students hold leadership roles in each house. These students work for the Office of Residential Life and are trained to help you have a fantastic year. On any given night, a housefellow or floor governor is on call to assist with problems or to help if you get locked out of your room.
- The top leadership position in the house, and a help with virtually any problem or issue.
- Responsibilities may include advising on academic, personal and social matters; enforcing house and campus policies; helping develop house programs; and mediating roommate conflicts or room problems.
- The HF has on-call responsibilities and the duty to intervene in order to protect the health and safety of the environment (policy enforcement).
Floor Governors (FG)
- The FG creates and coordinates social and educational programming such as pizza party study breaks or dialogues with faculty and staff.
- The number of floor governors depends on the size of the house.
- The FG has on-call responsibilities and the duty to intervene in order to protect the health and safety of the environment (policy enforcement).
- In addition to the student-staff positions, your house will have a number of representatives in elected positions who meet weekly as house Council. Many representatives are elected in the fall, so you can get involved. Any resident can attend House Council meetings.
- Each senator is elected by house residents in the fall to represent the house in the Student Government Association (SGA).
- The house senator attends weekly SGA meetings and voices the concerns of the house. He or she reports back to the house in a weekly email.
Student Advisers (SA)
- Student advisers are selected and trained by the dean of studies and student life staff to help you adjust to the academic, personal and social challenges of college life. Often he or she becomes a valuable friend and resource.
- Your SA will guide you through Orientation and will assist you as you prepare to meet with your faculty adviser and register for courses.